Are you an independent financial advisor? Learn five reasons your prospects are going cold from Summit Brokerage.
As an independent financial advisor, you are probably already aware that unless you can build trust between you and your prospects and/or clients, building a long-term successful business is next to impossible. Finance is extremely personal and no one wants to divulge this type of information to someone they do not know well, and better yet, who they haven’t built trust in. So, how can you start building trust with potential clients? With a new research study from BIA/Kelsey highlighting that 97% of people research online before making a decision in a product, business or individual, your online “presence” is a good place to start.
Forbes has stated the four characteristics clients look for in an independent broker dealer as being: integrity, accessibility, capability, and friendliness. And while these traits may come across during your in-person interaction with clients, do they carry over into your overall online picture to prospects? Let’s take a closer look at reasons why your prospects are going cold and how you can turn the tide:
- Review Your Website – According to multiple studies, between 70 and 80 percent of people will not do business with, or will negatively judge a company or individual with a poor website design and/or outdated material. Take inventory of your current website (hopefully you have one) and look for areas that can be improved. If technology is not your area, find a trusted freelancer or company who can help you create not just a website, but a cohesive brand and online presence.
- Have Professional Photos and Bios – Humans are visual creatures and it is no secret that blog posts, news articles, etc. do better online when they are accompanied by photos (preferable high quality photos). Your website isn’t any different. When someone clicks on your About Me/Us page, they should be greeted with professional headshots (no selfies, here!), and clear biographies about the individuals experience, expertise, etc.
The Internet can be a mysterious place, and scams occur every day. When your prospect researches you online, and they will, let them find a safe, up-to-date and intriguing website to learn about you and your successful business practices.
- Build Your Presence – These days, you cannot just rely on your website to get you in front of prospects. Be sure to take advantage of websites that come up on the first page of most search engines such as LinkedIn, which is ideal for professionals. Creating a FB Business page that works in conjunction with your website/blog and LinkedIn page is another solid option for getting your face and business out to the public.
- Maintain Consistency – Having a presence online can be an incredible tool for building your business, until that information becomes out of date and/or it is not consistent. In order to build trust, your business information, bio, phone number, address, etc. should be consistent from one site to the next. In addition, if you have a blog or newsletter that comes along with your website, be sure to maintain consistency with your posting schedule.
- Grow Interest & Build Trust – If you are an independent financial advisor who is already doing all of the above-mentioned tasks and are still wondering why your prospects are going cold, it may be time to grow their interest. While it is great if a prospect can find you online, it is another thing altogether for them to pick up the phone and start divulging personal finance information.
So, how can you grow their interest? Consider having a weekly newsletter sign up option on your website that can give a potential client insight into your knowledge, how your business operates, services you offer, and some weekly tips about financial planning, etc. In addition, give them something of value for spending time on your site, such as a small downloadable ebook. These can be small and concise, containing helping financial tips you are willing to give away in order to build trust and possibly obtain a new client.
To learn more about building your client database, getting referrals and other tips for independent broker dealers, visit www.SummitBrokerage.com
Summit Brokerage Services has been voted the #1 boutique independent broker dealer in the country. Let us show you why! To experience the Summit difference, learn more about our network of independent financial advisors, and begin creating your financial planning documents, visit https://www.summitbrokerage.com or call us at (800) 354-5528.
About Summit Brokerage Services, Inc.
Summit Brokerage Services is part of Cetera Financial Group. Summit Brokerage provides a broad range of securities brokerage and investment services to primarily individual investors. Summit Brokerage also sells insurance products, predominantly fixed and variable annuities and life insurance through its subsidiary, SBS Insurance Agency of Florida. Summit Brokerage also provides asset management services through its investment advisor, Summit Financial Group, Inc.
About Cetera Financial Group
Cetera Financial Group® (“Cetera”) is a leading network of independent retail broker-dealers empowering the delivery of objective financial planning advice to individuals, families and company retirement plans across the country through trusted financial advisors and financial institutions. Cetera is the second-largest independent financial advisor network in the nation by number of advisors, as well as a leading provider of retail services to the investment programs of banks and credit unions.
Through its multiple distinct firms, Cetera offers independent and institutions-based advisors the benefits of a large, established broker-dealer and registered investment adviser, while serving advisors and institutions in a way that is customized to their needs and aspirations. Independent financial advisor support resources offered through Cetera include award-winning wealth management and financial planning and advisory platforms, comprehensive broker-dealer and registered investment adviser services, practice management support and innovative technology. For more information, visit www.ceterafinancialgroup.com.
*”Cetera Financial Group” refers to the network of retail independent broker-dealers encompassing, among others, Cetera Advisors, Cetera Advisor Networks, Cetera Financial Institutions, Cetera Financial Specialists, First Allied Securities, Girard Securities, The Legend Group and Summit Brokerage Services.