The Future of Financial Planning: Five Key Megatrends Reshaping the Global Wealth Profession
As a financial advisor whose goal it is to provide the most comprehensive, well-researched financial planning advice to his or her clients, you must not only be aware of historical trends in wealth and asset management but also look to predictive advice and future trends that will likely have a profound impact on the financial planning industry.
Roubini ThoughtLab recently published a report entitled “Wealth and Asset Management 2021: Preparing for Transformative Change.” This report is available in its entirety here. To provide a clear vision of the future supported by evidence, Roubini ThoughtLab conducted a rigorous research program from March to July 2016 that included the following four research elements:
- A survey of 2,000 investors in 10 leading markets, including the US, the UK, Germany, Australia, China, Hong Kong, Mexico, Canada, Switzerland, and Japan.
- Also in those countries, a survey of 500 investment providers, including full-service banks, mutual funds companies, private banks, family wealth offices, investment advisors, and alternative investment firms.
- Advisory meetings and interviews with more than 40 industry leaders and experts.
- In-depth economic modeling of wealth trends conducted by a team of economists led by Dr. Nouriel Roubini.
The report presents five key megatrends that are predicted to reshape the financial planning industry and global wealth profession over the next five years. Here are the five key megatrends highlighted in the report:
- The Big Shift: Given the fast-changing marketplace, it is critical that investment providers fully understand their customers’ priorities and behaviors.
- The Rapidly Evolving Investor: With demographic and wealth patterns changing around the world, providers will need to engage a more heterogeneous set of investors.
- Rethinking Product and Market Approaches: In order to meet fast-changing customer demands, providers will need to reassess many aspects of their strategies.
- The Future Wealth Advisor: To stay relevant, wealth advisors will need to elevate their role in the wealth ecosystem while always keeping the client’s best interests in mind.
- The Road Ahead: Driving Digital Transformation: Drawing on smarter technologies (which includes social, mobile, analytics, and cloud technologies), providers will streamline and align their end-to-end systems to provide seamless, personalized omnichannel experiences. Despite their hopes, not all providers will be winners.
For a more thorough breakdown of each of these five megatrends, check back on the Summit Brokerage Blog soon. We will be publishing a separate blog post for each of the five megatrends.
For more information on Summit Brokerage Services and our independent financial advisors, visit www.joinsummit.com or contact us at (800) 354-5528. We’ve been voted the number one boutique independent broker dealer firm in the country—let us show you why!
About Summit Brokerage Services, Inc.
Summit Brokerage Services is part of Cetera Financial Group. Summit Brokerage provides a broad range of securities brokerage and investment services to primarily individual investors. Summit Brokerage also sells insurance products, predominantly fixed and variable annuities and life insurance through its subsidiary, SBS Insurance Agency of Florida. Summit Brokerage also provides asset management services through its investment advisor, Summit Financial Group, Inc.
About Cetera Financial Group
Cetera Financial Group® (“Cetera”) is a leading network of independent retail broker-dealers empowering the delivery of objective financial planning advice to individuals, families and company retirement plans across the country through trusted financial advisors and financial institutions. Cetera is the second-largest independent financial advisor network in the nation by number of advisors, as well as a leading provider of retail services to the investment programs of banks and credit unions.
Through its multiple distinct firms, Cetera offers independent and institutions-based advisors the benefits of a large, established broker-dealer and registered investment adviser, while serving advisors and institutions in a way that is customized to their needs and aspirations. Advisor support resources offered through Cetera include award-winning wealth management and financial planning and advisory platforms, comprehensive broker-dealer and registered investment adviser services, practice management support and innovative technology. For more information, visit www.ceterafinancialgroup.com.
*”Cetera Financial Group” refers to the network of retail independent broker-dealers encompassing, among others, Cetera Advisors, Cetera Advisor Networks, Cetera Financial Institutions, Cetera Financial Specialists, First Allied Securities, Girard Securities, The Legend Group and Summit Brokerage Services.