David Edwards, president of New York-based Heron Financial Group, found a way to leverage his love of sailing with successful client prospecting.
“What you need to do is create opportunities for prospects to get to know you in a ‘non-salesy’ environment,” said Edwards. Sailing fits the bill, for Edwards.
Why does Edwards’ strategy work?
- He’s putting himself where his prospective clients are. According to a video made by Edwards, his firm services “time-stressed executives, between 45 and 55 years old, with at least $1 million dollars in investable assets.”
- Edwards marries sailing and boating to prospective clients, whenever he can. “Sailing and investing have a lot in common. You have your plan, your skills and experience, but when bad things happen you just have to deal with it,” he said.
- He uses sailing analogies to explain complex financial topics, such as comparing an overly aggressive portfolio with a high-performing sailboat “which would shatter into pieces” if it hit a storm.
“Roughly 25% to 35% will unsubscribe immediately, but that’s OK. The remaining 65% to 75% of leads will continue to receive the emails and contact with us when they’re ready. We see it takes about nine impressions before they come onboard,” he said.
With a business fueled primarily by networking and referrals, a smart financial advisor will connect business to activities he/she enjoys. Passion drives motivation. No one needs to push you to do things you love. You’re emotionally engaged, having fun and feeling great.
This blog and website are for informational, educational and discussion purposes only, and the owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Summit Brokerage Services, Inc., Summit Financial Group Inc., and any of their affiliated entities and principals are not a law firms or an accounting firms, or substitutes for an attorney or accountant. Although topics may be discussed on this blog that may involve legal, accounting, or investment issues, nothing on this blog shall be deemed to constitute the practice of law, legal advice, investment advice, and/or tax advice. Summit Brokerage Services, Inc., and its affiliates do not, and cannot provide any kind of advice, explanation, opinion, or recommendation about possible legal rights, remedies, defenses, options, selection of forms or strategies. The content on this blog is “as is” and carries no warranties. You should consult an experienced professional regarding tax consequences of specific transactions.
No reader should act in reliance on anything discussed in this blog without prior consultation with a licensed professional who is qualified to evaluate the reader’s individual facts and circumstances and offer an informed professional opinion with respect thereto. If any reader takes action or makes decisions based solely on the information on this blog without prior consultation with a qualified, licensed professional, the reader does so at his or her own risk and agrees that Summit shall have no liability resulting from such unilateral action or decisions by the reader.
Summit makes every effort to provide accurate and truthful information in its posts on this blog, but in no way expressly or impliedly warrants or guarantees the accuracy of its postings and/or the information posted here by others. All information is believed to be from reliable sources, however we make no representation as to its completeness or accuracy.